Using Business Stock for Donations
Charitable Giving Strategies for the Business Owner
If you hold stock in a closely held business, you may be able to use that stock as a powerful way to support our future.
Closely held stock* is most often used to support our work in the form of an outright gift. You can make a gift of closely held stock as long as the constituting documentation for the business permits additional owners and it is debt-free. The donation of closely held stock first requires you to value the interest in the business entity.
Review this checklist to see if you may benefit from donating closely held stock. Then, consult your professional legal and tax advisors to see how to maximize the benefits of this tax-efficient strategy for making a difference.
- You are a majority shareholder in a closely held corporation.
- You would like to remove retained earnings from the corporation, without having them taxed again.
- You would like to maintain a controlling position in the corporation's outstanding stock.
- You would like to avoid capital gains taxes on the shares you donate to Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Foundation.
- You would like to receive a federal income tax deduction for the full appraised value of the gift.
- You would like to support our mission.
Click on the links below to see the additional ways to fund your gift with closely held stock:
- A gift in your will or living trust.
- A charitable gift annuity.
- A charitable remainder trust.
- A charitable lead trust.
* A gift of closely held stock requires special handling, so you should always consult with your legal or tax advisor first.
An unrestricted gift to support comprehensive programs and services across the entire continuum of cancer care allowing the Cancer Center team to designate where it's needed most at the time.
A restricted gift to support a specific philanthropic pillar, program and/or a specific diagnosis within our focus areas of prevention, research, innovation, education, patient care patient support and survivorship.
A minimum gift of $100,000 establishes a Named Endowed Fund. You can create the fund in your name or in the name of someone you wish to honor or remember. The Fund can be designated for comprehensive support or priority support based on what is most meaningful to you. For further information on this key form of giving, please contact the Development Office.
Matching funds can be a powerful tool in helping the Cancer Center leverage your gift. This fund can be used to match donations to establish endowed funds, securing innovative, comprehensive care for patients today and in the future.
- Contact Carter Rose Stone at (225) 215-1298 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information on giving a gift of closely held stock.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include the Foundation in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Foundation
Address: 4950 Essen Lane, Baton Rouge, LA 70809
Federal Tax ID Number: 20-2046461